Feb 6, 2017

Aizawa Great Ice Piller

 ■ Mt. Arafune

We've gone to Aizawa Great Ice Pillar
on February, 3rd.

We'd tried 2 weeks ago and it was not
yet frozen.

This time, it was fully frozen and can be climbed.


Mt.Arafune is a small mountain.

The approach is only 1.5 hours to the ice pillar.

You 'd definitely need a 4WD car with studless tires.
There are 2 to 3 cars parking space.

This small ice can be climbed in cold day.

 Mt. Arafune is a popular destination for sunday hikers and known for its autumn beauty.

I am so glad that I learned to climb so I go further than just hiking... so I can enjoy every aspect of what nature offers us.
On our way to climb, we saw the great pillar.
 you have to go off-trail. From the waking trail, two creaks and two ridges away, there is the pillar.
 This is the pillar from the distance

we brought,

 9.2㎜ 120m

rope... so heavy!! 6kg!!

Well, I can carry it with no problem, but my pack is full of rope!

Today, it was cold in the morning but by the time we arrived the foot of pillar, the air was kind of warm... so we worried.

A bit disappointing but we are so glad to see this. Since this pillar does not froze every year, you have to wait for the opportunities.


55m ice fall so you'd need 12 to 20 ice screws...

For me it was the first time I climbed this high, 55m.  I had to do lead climbing but this time since it was my first time for this size, I did not. But climbing itself was easy, IV I think. I climbed twice with no pump. well it was a warm day.


There were one more party than us, and the member of the other party was someone I knew from the other mountains... I was so glad to see him.

On our way back, we saw the pillar again.


On our way back home, we soaked in hot spring called Arafune no yu.

Soooo happy to be a human! and a climber! 

No comments:

Post a Comment